The Department of Education and English Language is part of the Faculty of Humanities and Law. In accordance with the "Law on Higher Education" in the Republic of Albania, it offers a Bachelor program in English Language and Literature and two graduate programs. The master programs are Professional Master Degree in English Language Teaching for two specific profiles: Upper Secondary Education and Lower Secondary Education, and Master of Science in English Language and Literature.
Our department’s mission is to offer students extensive knowledge in the field of Education, English Language and Literature. It aims to develop in students an understanding of language, literature and culture by providing them high quality education. The department guides students to read and think critically, speak fluently, analyze, interpret and contextualize literary text.
A diverse range of undergraduate and graduate courses are offered. Undergraduates have the opportunity to acquire fundamental writing skills, to learn about the powers of argument and analysis, and to see the big picture of literature’s development from the Middle Ages to the present. The graduate programs prepare students for careers in academic field and more.
The department is home to a number of experienced lecturers as well as interpreters, who draw on their expertise on linguistics, literature and translation competence. Apart from teaching, the Department’s members are actively engaged in research activities. Research interests rest primarily in linguistics and teaching methodology. Articles written by the faculty are published in various academic journals and collections of research papers both in Albania and abroad.
The Department also organizes the International Conference on English Language and Literature which focuses on various issues related to modern linguistic studies and innovative approaches to teaching foreign languages. It also publishes Beder Scientific Journal of Education Sciences. BJES is peer reviewed by an editorial board. The Journal seeks to serve the specialized interest of researchers working in various educational areas in accessing related theories and practices in education. BJES welcomes a wide range of original articles, research papers, proposed models, reviews of current literature, book reviews etc.
Teaching aims and objectives include:
- helping students understand the intellectual and cultural background of English Language and Literature, and equip them with the concepts and terminology used in the analysis of literary texts.
- helping students understand the interconnectivity of knowledge with critical faculties, analytical approach, interdisciplinary vision and interpretative skills related to literature.
- producing literature scholars for effective communication, written and oral presentation, interdisciplinary studies, and help students increase their creativity, self-confidence and produce original ideas in a definite area of study.
- preparing the students to take advantage of various information sources to maintain their professional and personal development in the context of a life-long learning.
- providing students with relevant contemporary facilities so as to exploit research data thoroughly and efficiently through the most up-to-date technology.
- enhancing the students’ awareness of legal and professional principles and social ethics and use their knowledge and capacities for the benefit of both the individual and the society.
Department Council Members: